VSRA is seeking a conference chair for 2021-2022!
Do you love to organize events? Are you passionate about professional development? Have you thought of a million things you would love to do if you were in charge of the VSRA Annual Conference? Here is your chance to bring your great ideas and event planning skills to the aid of your literacy organization. VSRA is seeking a Conference Chair for the 2021 and 2022 conferences.
The VSRA Conference Chair will be responsible for planning and managing the conference planning for a two year term and serve as a member of the Board of Directors and the Professional Development Committee. The person selected for this position will work with the Professional Development Committee this year (2019-20) to learn about our current planning process in order to be prepared to take over this task for the 2021 Conference year. Please read the conference chair job description and complete the online application at the following link. We look forward to learning about you!
The deadline for submitting an application is September 10, 2019.
CONFERENCE CHAIR POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Virginia State Reading Association (VSRA) Conference Chair is a two year position, not to exceed two terms, responsible for the planning and execution of the VSRA annual conference. As the volunteer leader of VSRA’s most significant source of revenue, the Conference Chair reports to the VSRA President and the Chair of the Professional Development Committee and interacts extensively with the VSRA Treasurer. The Chair, in collaboration with the committee, establishes the conference theme. The Chair ensures that all activities, events and presentations are aligned with the theme. and the stated goals of the organization. The Conference Chair serves as a representative of the VSRA team ensuring that all communication and interactions are professional; represent VSRA in a positive manner.
The Conference Chair is responsible for coordination of all activities to include, but not limited to the following:
1) Attendance at meetings of the VSRA Board of Directors, Leadership Team and the Professional Development Committee, and other ancillary meetings and provides a written report of progress
2) Work with the VSRA Treasurer and Board of Directors to establish and maintain a budget; increase revenue while ensuring maximum value for members
3) Assist the conference management company, to identify the conference location and hotel accommodations and present them to the Professional Development Committee and Board of Directors for approval.
4) Assist the conference management company in seeking sponsors/vendors for the annual conference.
5) Recruit volunteers and establish sub-committees for conference planning and assistance at the conference.
6) Take responsibility for the “creative” and programmatic aspect of the conference.
7) Working with the conference management company, oversee the Coordination of events, presentations, speakers, transportation, meals and all other plans with the conference management company and the VSRA Board of Directors and inform the Professional Development Committee and the Board.
8) Coordinate presentations with VSRA committee chairs as outlined in the VSRA by-laws including but not limited to those involved with the selection of awardees.
9) Supervise the approval process for presentation proposal reviews, notify speakers of acceptance.
10) Develop the final program, develop and coordinate a publicity plan for the conference and work with the VSRA Webmaster, Newsletter Chair and conference management company.
11) Complete the timely correspondence related to the conference planning and financial arrangements and thank you letters.
12) Complete vouchers for payment of conference expenses and maintain signatory responsibilities for conference financial documents and contracts.
13) Attend all days of the conference and support the conference management company and VSRA officers to ensure a successful event; troubleshoot and resolve issues during the conference with the conference management company.
14) Review the final conference management company report and advise on use of data planning for future conferences.
Required Background and Skills:
• Active VSRA member
• VSRA leadership experience at the local and/or state level
• Prior experience with the VSRA conference through volunteer activities, leadership roles and attendance
• Attention to detail in record keeping
• Experience managing a budget
• Experience with public speaking/presentations
• Experience leading collaborative groups
Preferred Background and Skills:
• Experience with all aspects of conference planning including knowledge of literacy, budgeting experience and recruitment and management of volunteers.